All instruments with physical contact optical ports. For example; OTDRs, Light Sources, Switches, and many others.
This guide offers an approach to troubleshooting a bad optical connection, often observed when connecting a jumper/cable to the port of an EXFO optical instrument, however it can also be used for any physical contact fiber-optic connection.
Typical symptoms of a bad optical connection could be;
- a high insertion loss
- complete loss of transmission
- a strong reflection
- error messages from some instruments
- loss of dynamic range
- Inconsistent measurements
Possible Cause 1: Dirty connector
Proposed Solution: Inspect and Clean
- Inspect the connector with an inspection probe and clean as required.
- If an inspection probe is not available, clean connector using proper method and materials.
Possible Cause 2: Damaged connector
- If on inspection there are chips, uncleanable spots, or other major defects, an RMA will be required for Connector replacement.
- If an inspection probe is not available, then please follow the below steps to further troubleshoot, if connector damage is confirmed, an RMA will be required for Connector replacement.
- For most EXFO products the -CR (Calibration with connector replacement) service is available. This service will have the connector replaced followed by a complete factory calibration.
Possible Cause 3: A bad or incompatible launch cable or test jumper
- If an inspection probe is available, inspect the launch connector, clean if soiled and discard if damaged
- Try another Test jumper with same fiber and connector type
- Ensure the launch connector is compatible with the optical port (APC/UPC compatibility)
Possible Cause 4: Damaged EUI or adapter
NOTE: EUI = EXFO Universal Adapter and is the part fitted to the optical ports of your instrument
Proposed Solution: Try another EUI
- As for any adapter, the EXFO EUI has an internal split sleeve to ensure precise fiber-to-fiber alignment. Should the sleeve be damaged, the poor alignment will result in high loss and/or strong reflections.
- Try another EUI if available. This is a common part used on many EXFO instruments, so there is a good chance you may have one available
- Replace the EUI or other adapter as required. This is an accessory available from EXFO